Provider Training Academy
UniCare Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc. (UniCare) offers an extensive library of training and continuing education opportunities. We will add presentations, videos and other training documentation as they become available.
Provider Pathways – Doing Business with UniCare Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc. eLearning.
Provider Pathways is a 24/7 educational resource that offers a foundation for doing business with UniCare Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc. It’s designed to be user friendly and gives you flexibility when scheduling training for yourself and your staff:
Training and tutorials
- Provider Coding Education
- Provider training opportunities
- Provider coding education — webinars and on-demand trainings
- West Virginia Gold Star Program Navigation Guide
- Healthy Rewards Program March 24, 2021
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Overview
- Member Incentive Program: Help You Patients Earn Rewards For Certain Health Services Through the Healthy Rewards Card
- Provider Digital Engagement
- 837I Health Care Claim Companion Guide
- 837P Health Care Claim Companion Guide
- 834 Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Companion Guide
- 276/277 Health Care Claim Status Request/ Response — Batch Companion Guide
- 276/277 Health Care Claim Status Request/ Response — Real-Time Companion Guide
- 270/271 Healthcare Eligibility Benefit Inquiry and Response — Batch Companion Guide
- 270/271 Healthcare Eligibility Benefit Inquiry and Response — Real-Time Companion Guide
- 275 Electronic Attachment Companion Guide
- 278 – Request for review and response Companion Guide
- 278N- Inpatient Admission and Discharge Notification Companion Guide
- Interactive Care Reviewer (ICR) FAQ
Presentations and webinars
- Fall 2022 Provider Workshop Morning Presentation
- Spring 2022 Provider Workshop Morning Presentation
- Fall 2021 Provider Workshop Morning Presentation
- Fall 2021 Provider Workshop Afternoon Presentation
- Spring 2021 Provider Workshop Presentation
- Monthly Webinar: West Virginia Provider Orientation
- AA AH Presentation
- AA AH Webinar Invitation
- Utilization Management (UM) & Criteria Overview Presentation
- Fall 2020 Provider Workshop Presentation
- Fall 2019 Provider Workshop Presentation
- Fall 2019 SUD Waiver Workshop Presentation
- Spring 2019 Provider Workshop Presentation
- Fall 2018 Provider Workshop Presentation
- Spring 2018 Medicaid Workshop Presentation
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)
A clinician’s tool for identifying risky substance use behaviors and providing appropriate intervention.
Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment, commonly referred to as SBIRT, is an evidence-based, comprehensive, integrated approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services to people with substance misuse and those at risk of developing disorders. The goal of SBIRT is to reduce and prevent related health consequences, disease, accidents, and injuries. Risky substance use is a health issue that often goes undetected; providers can help by incorporating this evidence-based tool that is demonstrated to be valid and reliable in identifying individuals with problem use or at risk for a substance use disorder (SUD).
If you wish to print SBIRT educational materials, please review the links below to obtain a downloadable flier and brochure. For any further discussions regarding SBIRT, please contact your Provider Experience or Provider Relations representative.
Learn About Availity*
Many of the tools you need — eligibility and benefits inquiry, claims submission, claims status inquiry, and authorizations — can be accessed from your Availity account. You can find instructions for locating and using these tools on the Learn about Availity page.
Cultural competency resources
The provider manual provides key administrative information, including the quality improvement program, the utilization management (UM) program, quality standards for providers, claims appeals, and reimbursement policies.
My Diverse Patients
The My Diverse Patients website offers learning experiences, techniques, and helps you to provide the individualized care every patient deserves regardless of their background.
Engaging a qualified interpreter improves effective communication between you and your patient. The interpreter services guide below outlines the interpreter services available to providers and staff through UniCare, in addition to practical tips for communicating with both interpreters and patients who speak limited English.
* Availity, LLC is an independent company providing administrative support services on behalf of UniCare Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc.
Provider tools & resources
- Log in to Availity
- Launch Provider Learning Hub Now
- Learn about Availity
- Prior Authorization Lookup Tool
- Prior Authorization Requirements
- Claims Overview
- Reimbursement Policies
- Provider Manuals, Policies & Guidelines
- Provider Training Academy
- Pharmacy Information
- Provider News & Announcements